Sunday, December 16, 2007

My painting cont'd VIII


Since this painting daily commands most of my attention it comes to act as a repository of my energies; not a locked chest, but one that continually leaks to affect or, in viral fashion, to infect other work in progress. Even some innocent portrait may show symptoms. However it is A Humument that always falls first victim to such benign contagion, as can be seen in the most recent of the reworked pages. The book as a whole provides a lifetime diary of tropes and trends, strategies and devices, a house of memory of my visual preoccupations.

A Humument page 7 2007

The photos of my picture and its crazed-looking creator that have appeared in this account were taken by Alice Wood. The present state of the painting in a slightly wider studio context can also be seen here through the lens of Lord Snowden, as featured on the cover of the forthcoming issue of Apollo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...a veil thrown over a veil..."
Totally, totally sweet.

Mike C. said...

Not sure about the red halo, but the fag and the Crocs do lend a magisterial air. Happy New Year to all at Talfourd Road! Now on to the next blog...

Anonymous said...

It was both a joy and an education to read a well written article. Lucky are the people who knew of Apollo and Tom Phillips.
I have learnt a lot and enjoyed what I have discovered as a result of reading one article in Solomon I have surpassed thee.

John
JohnLondon22


Thank you