Wednesday, August 26, 2009

London Sketch Club


I have made a discovery. How could I not have known all these years about the London Sketch Club? My friend Jonathan Hills is its new President. He invited me along to do some drawing in what I found to be a magic room, a proper Chelsea studio decorated with silhouettes of its original members (Phil May, Heath Robinson etc.) in which a congenial group continues the practise of drawing from the model for the traditional couple of hours. Then they have supper. Just what I needed.

3 comments:

The Wyvern said...

Perhaps you might be interested in this idea of mixing life drawing and burlesque?

http://drsketchy.com/

There is a London branch as well.

http://www.drsketchylondon.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I did know of its existence as ever since leaving London in 1984, its been my passion to get back to London and all its resources!

Wonderful drawings Tom. Nothing like working from a model to revive the artistic spirit.

There is a very Dr Sketchy Branch in Austin TX as well.

Anonymous said...

Meant to say "there is a very active Dr S branch in Austin TX as well"

Also is the Sketch club still a male only membership or is it open to women these days?